Pocket Stories: Dragons

Prompt: People say that dragons aren't real, but I know better.

People say that dragons aren’t real, but I know better. Dragons are just hard to see, unless you know where to look for them. 

Can you imagine how irritating it would be if a bunch of tiny creatures started screaming every time they saw you? Or tried to stab you with their stupid little sticks? Or tried to take away all the shiny items you spent decades collecting? It would be frightfully frustrating. 

No, dragons are still around, they just found the perfect little hidey-holes to stash themselves in. See, I know because there is a dragon living under my bed. His name is Maverick, or at least, that’s what I call him. Since he hasn’t corrected me I’ve just assumed that he likes it. 

He spends his days lolling about, snatching up all the shiny things that end up on the floor. He’s quick about it too. Once I dropped my favorite blue marble, and before it could hit the floor, his scaley paw whipped out and caught it. 

I have no idea how he fits under my bed; I suspect magic. He doesn’t need much from me. He likes my leftover chicken, bones and all. I can hear him crunching as I try to fall asleep. 

Dragons are definitely real, but I’m not going to tell a soul. You don’t have to share a best friend if no one knows you have one.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knight-Time Adventures: The tale of Sir Gabriel and Sir Jerry episode 1

Beautiful Rhythms: Distraction Music to Increase Focus

Pocket Stories: Blood Source